Exploring a more plant-based way of eating? Finding protein-rich vegan recipes can be a challenge. Discover our top picks: 10 Vegan Mediterranean Recipes with 10g+ of Protein.
In this post, we share 10 vegan recipes with 10g+ of protein, the benefits of a vegan Mediterranean diet, pantry essentials, and vegan Mediterranean food swaps to help you get started on your plant-based Mediterranean diet journey!
What Are The Benefits Of A Vegan Mediterranean Diet?
A vegan Mediterranean diet combines the heart-healthy elements of the Mediterranean diet with plant-based eating. This can help promote improved cardiovascular health, weight management, and overall well-being. For more information, check out our guide: The Ultimate Guide to a Vegetarian or Vegan Mediterranean Diet.
Pantry Essentials For Vegan Mediterranean Dishes
Stocking key ingredients in your fridge, freezer, and pantry will help you have the foundations for crafting delicious and nutritious vegan Mediterranean meals. Here are 6 categories we recommend you include:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This heart-healthy oil serves as a foundation for flavor in dishes like salads and roasted vegetables.
- Whole Grains: Staples like quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat pasta or couscous are an excellent side. They also provide a nutritious base for dishes like grain bowls or stuffed peppers.
- Legumes: Chickpeas, lentils, and beans offer protein and texture to classics like hummus and Mediterranean-style dishes. Stock up on canned beans for a quick and easy protein to add to your meals.
- Soy: Tofu, edamame, tempeh, and seitan are great ways to add plant-based protein to meals and snacks.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, and peanuts bring a satisfying crunch to snacks, salads, and oatmeal.
- Fresh, Frozen, or Canned Vegetables and Fruits: From tomatoes and bell peppers to berries and apples, a colorful range of fruits and veggies forms the core of Mediterranean meals. Frozen and canned fruits and veggies can be a convenient way to eat more of these nutritious foods! Just look for canned foods with no added salt or low sodium versions and fruits canned in water or fruit juice.
How To Make Plant-Based Mediterranean Recipes
To create plant-based Mediterranean recipes, simply replace animal products with wholesome alternatives like legumes, tofu, edamame, and/ or plant-based cheeses. Include vegetables, hearty grains, olive oil, and herbs- all key components of the Mediterranean Diet. Our vegan Mediterranean recipes are well-balanced and contain lots of fresh produce and vegan protein sources.
Examples of Vegan Mediterranean Food Swaps
Plant-Based Protein Sources
- Swap meat for legumes like lentils, chickpeas, and black beans in stews, burgers, and salads.
- Substitute tofu, tempeh, edamame, or seitan for meat in stir-fries and sandwiches.
- Replace cow’s milk with almond, soy, oat, or coconut milk in recipes and beverages.
- Opt for plant-based yogurts made from coconut, almond, or soy milk. Just keep an eye on the sugar content in these.
- Try nutritional yeast or vegan cheeses made from nuts, soy, or coconut for pizza, pasta, and tacos.
- Flaxseed or chia seeds mixed with water can replace eggs in baking.
- Silken tofu works well in dishes requiring a creamy texture, like quiches or mousses.
- Use avocado as a creamy spread on sandwiches instead of butter or mayo.
- Replace animal fats with heart-healthy olive oil for cooking and drizzling.
10 Vegan Mediterranean Recipes With 10g+ Of Protein
NOTE: Some of the recipes in this roundup may not be fully vegan. If they are not, you’ll see suggestions and simple swaps to make them vegan.
1. Quick & Easy Three-Bean Chili
Quick & Easy Three Bean Chili
If you’re looking for a recipe that requires minimal prep but is still full of nutrients, this easy three- bean chili is it! Cook once and enjoy it throughout the week.
This recipe has a garnish of cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt to make it a simple vegetarian chili. However, you can easily make it vegan by topping the chili with your favorite vegan cheese or some nutritional yeast.
2. Butternut Squash And Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada SkilletView Recipe
Trying to incorporate more meatless meals into your repertoire, this Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is for you! It’s packed with flavor and plant-based protein. Simply swap the cheese for a vegan cheese to make this recipe vegan.
3. Slow Cooker Lentil And Mushroom Bolognese
Slow Cooker Lentil and Mushroom Bolognese
There’s nothing easier than a slow cooker meal. Throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker, and at the end of the day, you’ve got a delicious meal! This meal is packed with plant-based protein from the lentils, making it a super satisfying and delicious meatless meal. Swap the cheese for a vegan alternative.
4. Vegan Pasta Alfredo
Vegan Pasta Alfredo
Our Vegan Pasta Alfredo recipe is made with legume-based pasta and cashew cream sauce. It not only tastes amazing but has the same creamy texture as your standard Alfredo sauce, making it an excellent swap.
5. Sesame Noodle Bowls With Seared Tofu
Sesame Noodle Bowls With Seared TofuView Recipe
Imagine tender seared tofu, paired with soba noodles, julienned cucumber, carrots, and vibrant shredded red cabbage, all topped with a delicious Bang Bang Sesame Sauce. It’s a satisfying combination that brings together fresh ingredients and savory richness in every bite.
6. Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls With Peanut Dipping Sauce
Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
These spring rolls are made with crunchy veggies and herbs, and paired with a peanut dip. Boost the protein here by adding edamame or tofu.
7. Tropical Mango Banana Green Smoothie
Tropical Mango Banana Green Smoothie
This mango banana spinach smoothie is a super nutritious breakfast thanks to all the fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds. Add in some vegan protein powder or silken tofu to amp up the protein in this smoothie!
8. Mediterranean Pasta Salad With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Dried Tomatoes
This is the best Mediterranean pasta salad because it’s filling, so quick to prepare, and high in protein. Swap the chicken for legume-based pasta and the cheese for a dairy-free alternative to make this quick and easy pasta fully vegan.
9. Chopped Jennifer Aniston Salad
Jennifer Aniston Salad
Many years later, we are still recreating this delicious chopped Jennifer Aniston salad. It is made with a base of bulgur wheat which is a high-fiber, whole grain. We used chickpeas as our vegetarian protein source. Just swap the feta here for a vegan cheese to make this recipe fully vegan.
10. Cold Lentil Chopped Salad With Honey Walnut Dressing
Cold Lentil Chopped Salad with Honey Walnut Dressing
This chopped salad is made with a base of lentils, cabbage, tomatoes, and radishes. It’s then topped with green onions and a sweet honey walnut dressing. Leave out the feta cheese and swap the honey for maple syrup to make this recipe vegan.
Clients Love Our Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes!
I have clients reach out all of the time looking to include more plant-based meals in their diet. Many have reported feeling more energized, and often mentioning how these recipes have become a flavorful highlight of their week!
It’s easy to do with our collection of vibrant Mediterranean dishes and vegan Mediterranean recipes. We even have a whole module dedicated to plant-based meals in our Living Fully Mediterranean Course.
Looking For More Mediterranean Diet Resources?
Here are a few articles to show you what the Mediterranean Diet is all about!