If you are trying to incorporate more meatless meals into your repertoire, this Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is for you! It’s packed with flavor and plant-based protein. Even better? It comes together quickly so you’ll have a delicious and nutritious dinner on the table in no time.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 cups ½ inch diced, peeled butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into 1” pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 4 corn tortillas cut into thick strips, then cut in half
- 1 -2 cups fresh spinach
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Garnish: cilantro salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in oven-proof skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper, butternut squash, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to the skillet and saute for 3 minutes until vegetables start to soften.
- Add black beans, enchilada sauce and corn tortillas and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the fresh spinach. Stir until incorporated.
- Place in the oven on center rack and bake for 20-25 minutes until the squash is fork-tender but not falling apart.
- Add the cheddar cheese on top and continue to cook for a few minutes more until the cheese is melted.
- To serve: garnish with cilantro and salsa.