This easy three bean chili can be made in one pot and can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
If you’re looking for a recipe that requires minimal prep but is still full of nutrients, this easy three bean chili is it! Plus, you can make it once and enjoy it throughout the week – it’s a time savor and seems to gain more flavor as it sits longer!
Health Benefits of Chili
This recipe uses a combination of three beans: black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans. The beans are full of fiber to help regulate digestion, and are a source of plant-based protein to help regulate hunger. The mixture of herbs and spices, including chili powder and cumin, provide additional antioxidants to help support your immune system, reduce inflammation and provide additional health benefits.
How to Make This a Vegan Chili
This recipe has a garnish of cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt to make it a simple vegetarian chili. However, easily make it vegan by topping the chili with your favorite vegan cheese or some nutritional yeast.
Quick & Easy Three Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 serrano pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 small piece of dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: cheddar cheese, green onions, greek yogurt, cilantro swap cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt to make vegan
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, serrano pepper, chili powder and cumin and continue to cook until fragrant around 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes,dark chocolate and vegetable broth and bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed adding salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, green onion, greek yogurt and cilantro or the topping of your choice.
Additional Chili Recipes to Try
The chili recipes don’t stop here! Give some of our other chilis a try too: