There’s nothing easier than a slow cooker meal. Throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and at the end of the day, you’ve got a delicious meal! This meal is packed with plant-based protein from the lentils, making it a super satisfying and delicious meatless meal.
Slow Cooker Lentil and Mushroom Bolognese
There's nothing easier than a slow cooker meal. Throw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and at the end of the day, you've got a delicious meal! This meal is packed with plant-based protein from the lentils, making it a super satisfying and delicious meatless meal.
- 8 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup small dried green lentils
- 2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: basil and parmesan cheese
- Combine mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, lentils, vegetable broth, wine, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, oregano, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours ( it will not take the entire time to cook - should be ready by 5-6 hours).
- Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt and pepper.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with basil and parmesan.
Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze. Adapted from Paula Jones, The Ultimate Cookbook of Hands-Off Slow Cooker Recipes and my favorite Weeknight Bolognese by Ina Garten.
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!