Make a big batch of this Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Dried Tomatoes to enjoy for picnics, barbecues, or for meal prep lunch all week long.
This is the best Mediterranean pasta salad because it’s filling, so quick to prepare, and high in protein. The artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and olives add the best salty, savory flavor. This tasty pasta salad is topped with our classic red wine vinaigrette.
Which Type Of Pasta Is Best?
We recommend using whole wheat pasta or a legume based pasta, like Banza, to make this recipe even more filling and nutritious. Legume-based pasta holds up well and adds extra fiber and protein. Whole wheat pasta also works great because it adds a nice savory flavor and the texture holds up well for leftovers. Regular pasta will work too if you don’t have one of the other options.
How To Avoid Bland Pasta Salad
Don’t settle for bland pasta salad. Use these tips to ensure your pasta salad will be fresh and flavorful!
- Use a curly pasta shape like rotini or fusilli that will trap the dressing and veggies in all the cavities.
- Salt your pasta water! This adds so much great flavor right into the pasta itself.
- Use plenty of dressing: Our classic red wine vinaigrette is so delicious and it’s full of healthy fats.
- Don’t skip the fresh herbs: Here we use fresh basil which has an amazing peppery flavor and it’s packed with antioxidants.
Is This Mediterranean Pasta Salad Healthy?
This pasta salad with sun dried tomatoes is full of veggies, healthy fats, and of course, flavor! The chicken breast boosts the protein content in this Mediterranean pasta salad. Chicken breast is a lean protein, low in saturated fat and high in vitamins such as B3 and B6.
Our classic red wine vinaigrette is made with olive oil, which is full of healthy fats, and herbs, which are high in antioxidants. And last but not least, the amazing veggies in this Mediterranean pasta salad are so nourishing for your body. This salad is well balanced with high fiber carbohydrates, lean protein, and healthy fats.
Adjustments For Our Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Pasta salads are so versatile because you can enjoy them on their own, with a lean protein, and mixed with fresh greens. Here are some fun ways to adjust this recipe to your liking:
- Make it vegetarian: Swap the chicken breast for chickpeas or white beans.
- Boost the protein: Try using Banza pasta, made with chickpeas, for extra protein.
- Swap the arugula for spinach if you don’t have arugula.
What You Need To Make Our Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Chicken breasts
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Artichoke hearts
- Kalamata olives
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
How To Prepare This Delicious Pasta Salad
In a mason jar, combine the dressing ingredients. Cover and shake well.
Boil your pasta water and don’t forget to salt it! Cook your rotini until it’s done, then drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, chop and prepare your additional salad ingredients.
Combine the pasta salad ingredients together in a larger bowl. Mix and then top with the dressing, shaved parmesan, and fresh basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Dried Tomatoes
- Nonstick pot
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz Rotini preferably legume based
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil julienned
- 1, 14 oz can of artichoke hearts cut in half
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup kalamata olives cut in half
- Fresh basil
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: In a medium mason jar place on the ingredients and shake. Set aside.
- Cook rotini to package directions making sure to salt the water. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl: pasta, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, arugula, kalamata olives.
- Pour dressing over the top and toss. Garnish with chopped basil and shaved parmesan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Looking For More Healthy Pasta Recipes?
Look no further! Try one of our other veggie-packed pasta recipes.