Make a batch of our Healthy Homemade Tzatziki Sauce for dipping, spreading, and topping! This Greek sauce is made with greek yogurt, cucumbers, lemons, and fresh herbs.
We love this homemade tzatziki sauce because it’s light, refreshing, and elevates any dish! This healthy tzatziki is quick to mix up and it’s so versatile. Tzatziki goes well with grilled meat, fresh veggies, sandwiches, and salads.
What Is Tzatziki?
Tzatziki is a Greek sauce or dip made with Greek yogurt or sheep’s milk yogurt, cucumbers, lemon, olive oil and herbs such as dill and mint. While tzatziki is now considered a Greek dish, some of the inspiration for tzatziki likely came from the Indian dish known as raita sauce.
What To Serve With Our Homemade Tzatziki Sauce?
This tzatziki is easy to pair with so many flavors and it balances out other spices. Here are a few of our favorite ways to serve this homemade tzatziki.
- Top our Sheet Pan Roasted Harissa Chicken with a dollop of tzatziki.
- Dip fresh veggies like carrots and celery into this tzatziki sauce.
- Serve tzatziki alongside our Lemony Chicken Kebabs Over Cauliflower Tabouleh
Is Tzatziki Sauce Healthy?
This tzatziki is a healthy sauce or dip. It’s made with healthy fats, high-protein yogurt, and veggies that add antioxidants. Instead of dipping your grilled meats and vegetables sugary, high-saturated fat dips, try making a batch of this delicious homemade tzatziki for a nutritious bite.
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce Nutrition
- Plain greek yogurt is high in protein, with about 16 grams of protein per cup. Greek yogurt is also high in calcium.
- Cucumbers and lemon provide amazing flavor, vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants.
- Olive oil is a great source of healthy unsaturated fats that support heart and brain health.
- Dill is low in calories but bursting with important flavor in this tzatziki. Fresh dill provides small amounts of vitamins and minerals.
What You Need To Make Tzatziki
- Seedless cucumber
- Greek yogurt
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Fresh dill
How To Make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. We love to make a batch to have for a variety of meals for a few days.
Begin by peeling and grating your cucumber. Using paper towels or a cheese cloth, squeeze out excess water. Next, combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, adjusting your seasonings as you like. Enjoy!
If you aren’t going to eat all of the tzatziki, you can freeze it for up to 3 months, but make sure it’s in a well-sealed container.
Healthy Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Box grater
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- Salt to taste
- Peel the cucumber and grate using a box grater. Place the cucumber in paper towels or cheesecloth and gently squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, dill and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Looking For More Mediterranean Sauces?
Try one of our other favorite sauces to elevate your meal!