These Healthy Spiced Apple Zucchini Muffins are the perfect treat to enjoy as we enter Fall. These tasty muffins are made with whole wheat flour, apple, zucchini, eggs, and wonderful spices. Try our spiced muffins for a nutritious breakfast, a quick snack or warmed up for a delicious dessert.
If you love our Apple Olive Oil Muffins you are going to love these Healthy Spiced Apple Zucchini Muffins. These sweet muffins are great for meal prep for school or work. The muffins can be frozen for up to 1 month so you can make a big batch ahead of time.
Are Apple Zucchini Muffins Healthy?
Our healthy muffins are made with nutritious ingredients that will keep you energized. Whole wheat flour is a key ingredient because it contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than more processed white flour.
We love to include fruit in muffins as a healthy source of sweetness and fiber. These muffins require fresh apples and unsweetened applesauce which helps them become moist and fluffy. The chopped pecans are a great source of healthy fats and fiber. And last but not least, spices like cinnamon support balanced blood sugar levels and provide antioxidants.
What You Need To Make Apple Zucchini Muffins
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White whole wheat flour
- Kosher salt
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract
- No added sugar applesauce
How To Prepare Apple Zucchini Muffins
Begin by preheating the oven and lightly spraying your muffin tin with oil. Chop the apples and grate the zucchini. Squeezing excess liquid from the zucchini with a paper towel is an important step. Mix together the eggs and sugar until they are well combined. Add in the oil and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Then combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients slowly. Finally, add in the vanilla, applesauce, apples, zucchini, and pecans to the batter. Once the batter is well mixed, pour into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check out the recipe below for the full directions.
Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy These Spiced Muffins
Muffins are a great ready-to-go bite and we also love to add toppings!
- Top with nut butter for healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied.
- Serve with a scoop of yogurt for extra protein.
- Take a muffin on-the-go with a cheese stick for a sweet & savory snack.
Spiced Apple & Zucchini Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- Box grater
- Hand Mixer or Electric Mixer
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil choose fruity
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup no added sugar applesauce
- 2 small apples peeled, and cut into ¼“ dice (honey crisp, pink lady, fuji)
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1 medium zucchini
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Prep your apples and grate a zucchini on the large holes of a box grater. Use a paper towel and squeeze out the excess moisture in the zucchini.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer or electric mixer, mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until pale yellow color. Add the oil and mix until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder together. Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low.
- Add the vanilla, applesauce, diced apples,zucchini, and pecans and continue to mix on low until just combined. You can stir by hand as well.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffins cups and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to rest for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool fully on a rack.
Looking For More Healthy Muffin Recipes?
We love making a big batch of muffins to enjoy all week long. Try one of our other favorites.