Nothing says fall quite like a sweet baked apple treat. That’s why we love this Healthy Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake!
My mother-in-law makes the best apple-spiced snack cake. It is the perfect little cake when you need a casual, easy dessert. Bring it as a treat to a friend, or enjoy a slice as a snack or for breakfast. It checks all my boxes for a great baked good – no fuss, and easy to make with simple pantry ingredients. My mother-in-law’s delicious cake inspired me to make my own Mediterranean version with a little more fiber and heart-healthy ingredients.
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a wonderful baked good to share for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or a casual dessert with friends. The cake base has small, diced apples mixed throughout, and it’s all topped with a sweet, nutty crumble.
This recipe calls for simple pantry staples and it’s perfect for sharing. I hope this sweet cake becomes a staple snack in your home, just like it is in mine.
Is This Apple Cinnamon Cake Healthy?
Yes! This apple cake is made with nutritious ingredients such as fruit, whole grains, Greek yogurt and eggs. I love developing recipes with wholesome ingredients that also satisfy those sweet cravings. This recipe has a balance of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein.
Lower in Added Sugar
Another reason this cake fits into the Mediterranean diet is because it is lower in added sugars.
- The apples and applesauce provide natural sweetness.
- The brown sugar is added in smaller quantities in the batter and crumble topping.
- The healthy fats and protein also slow the absorption of the sugar. This reduces the effect on blood sugar levels.
Lower in Saturated Fat, Higher in Protein
Many coffee cake recipes call for sour cream which adds great flavor but is generally higher in saturated fat. Greek yogurt is used in this recipe instead of sour cream because it is high in protein and lower in saturated fat. This is one example of the healthy adjustments we make in our recipes so we can enjoy our favorite foods and take care of our health at the same time.
Which Apples Should I Use?
I recommend Granny Smith apples for this healthy coffee cake recipe. Granny smith apples are both sweet and a little tangy. These apples hold up well in baked recipes without getting grainy or too mushy. Apples are in season during the end of summer and fall. I love making this apple cinnamon coffee cake to warm up my house in the fall and use up all the fresh apples.
What To Serve With Our Healthy Apple Coffee Cake
Here are a few delicious and nutritious pairings for a slice of coffee cake.
- A scoop of Greek yogurt for extra protein
- A dollop of nut butter to make it more filling
- A handful of mixed nuts
Ingredients For Our Homemade Cinnamon Apple Cake
You probably already have many of these ingredients at home. This recipe calls for pantry staples and a few fresh ingredients.
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Canola oil or neutral oil
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Greek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Granny Smith apple
How To Make This Apple Cinnamon Cake Recipe
Preheat your oven and prepare a square baking dish with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, adding the applesauce and Greek yogurt last.
Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Finally add in the apples and pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the toppings mixture over the batter. Bake and then allow the cake to cool before cutting.
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 8 inch square baking dish
- 1¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil or neutral oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Granny Smith apple diced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper in an 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, oil, and egg together until well combined. Add applesauce and Greek yogurt and mix well.
- Gradually add to the flour mixture then fold in the apples. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Press gently into the batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into squares.
Looking For More Sweet Baked Goods?
Check out these healthy baked goods made with nutritious ingredients.