Who doesn’t love a classic Waldorf salad? This lightened up version is bursting with flavor and good-for-you nutrients.
We replaced the mayonnaise with plain greek yogurt to add protein and creaminess. Barley is an ancient grain full of fiber and some protein. Walnuts provide a delicious crunch while also adding protein and heart-healthy fats.
This dish comes together quickly and makes a super satisfying, delicious side or a small meal on its own when served in lettuce cups or over salad greens.
Lightened Waldorf Salad with Creamy Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 large Gala apple cut into 1/4 in dice
- 2 stalks sliced celery
- 1 cup halved seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
- radicchio leaves chiffonade for garnish
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Cook barley according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- While the barley is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, oil, and Greek yogurt.
- Add the vinaigrette to a large bowl and toss with the barley, apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts.
- Serve and top with radicchio strands.