Who doesn’t love a classic Waldorf salad? This lightened up version is bursting with flavor and good-for-you nutrients.
We replaced the mayonnaise with plain greek yogurt to add protein and creaminess. Barley is an ancient grain full of fiber and some protein. Walnuts provide a delicious crunch while also adding protein and heart-healthy fats.
This dish comes together quickly and makes a super satisfying, delicious side or a small meal on its own when served in lettuce cups or over salad greens.
Lightened Waldorf Salad with Creamy Vinaigrette
The Greek yogurt in this vinaigrette adds some protein and creaminess. Barley is an ancient grain full of fiber and some protein.
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 large Gala apple cut into 1/4 in dice
- 2 stalks sliced celery
- 1 cup halved seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
- radicchio leaves chiffonade for garnish
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Cook barley according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- While the barley is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, oil, and Greek yogurt.
- Add the vinaigrette to a large bowl and toss with the barley, apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts.
- Serve and top with radicchio strands.
Keywords: Dinner, Quick & Easy, Waldorf Salad, Salads