Succotash is a southern dish that is loaded with colorful summer vegetables and nutrients. Lima beans are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. Adding grilled shrimp to this recipe adds an additional lean protein boost. This makes a great make ahead meal for busy nights. Simply prepare the succotash in advance and grill the shrimp right before serving. Enjoy!
Grilled Shrimp and Succotash Bowl
- 1-1.5 pounds of large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite Creole seasoning we use Tony Chachere’s lite or no salt
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 cups of fresh okra sliced ( or frozen)
- 2 cups fresh corn cut off the cob ( about 2-3 ears)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- ½ cup thinly sliced basil leaves
Make the Succotash:
- Place lima beans in a medium pot and cover with stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 5- 6 minutes or until just tender. Do not over cook. The lima beans should be firm to the bite but not mushy. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- While the beans are cooking, heat the olive oil in a non-stick saute pan and add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the okra and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh corn, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes until corn and okra are tender but not mushy. Remove from heat and add to the lima beans.
- Add the tomatoes and vinegar to the lima bean mixture and let sit until cooled to allow flavors to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Garnish with basil. This salad just gets better with time!
Make the grilled shrimp:
- Place the raw shrimp in a medium sized bowl and toss with creole seasoning.
- Place the grill pan on the grill and preheat over high heat.
- Place shrimp in the grill pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until bright pink. Remove from the grill.
- Place succotash in a bowl and top with shrimp.
- Garnish with basil and Enjoy!