This Cajun Shrimp Pasta is made adding all the ingredients in one skillet and sautéing them together. I love this method because it builds flavor and the clean up is so easy!
Where Does Cajun Shrimp Come From?
It’s a Louisiana-style dish that has evolved with the diversity of cultures and cuisines in the area. Cajun cuisine is influenced by French, Creole, African American and many more food traditions.
What Is Cajun Seasoning Made Of?
Cajun seasoning is a blend of commonly used spices. The key ingredients in cajun seasoning include paprika, garlic power, onion powder, and cayenne. You can make your own cajun spice with each of the separate spices or use a cajun seasoning blend. Depending on the spice balance, cajun seasonings can be spicy or more mild.
Health Benefits Of Shrimp Cajun Pasta
This is a balanced meal because it contains:
- Nutritious, high-protein shrimp
- Carbohydrates from the orzo
- Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from the veggies and spices
- Healthy fats from the olive oil
Benefits of Cajun Seasoning
There are important health benefits of cajun seasoning. Spices and herbs contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. For example, paprika is a delicious spice that contains carotenoids that can help protect against chronic diseases.
What To Serve With Cajun Shrimp
In this recipe, we cook the orzo right in the broth and spices. The cajun orzo goes well with shrimp because it can absorb the flavor. This recipe would be delicious served with your favorite simple green salad.
What You Need To Make Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Large shrimp
- Fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
How To Prepare This Cajun Shrimp Pasta Recipe
In a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the cajun seasonings and then set aside. Heat up a large skillet with olive oil. Begin by adding onion and red bell pepper to sauté. Add in the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add the tomatoes, orzo and broth one at a time, stirring to combine. Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes. Finally add in the cajun shrimp and cook until the shrimp is cooked through. Top with the garnishes and final seasonings. Check out the full recipe below.
Cajun Shrimp Orzo Pasta
- Large skillet
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup orzo uncooked
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined if desired
- 1 cup of fresh spinach chopped
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl and sprinkle with cajun seasonings and toss. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion, red bell pepper, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Finally add fire roasted tomatoes, stirring to combine.
- Add orzo and broth. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until orzo is soft and just a small amount of liquid remains.
- Toss in the shrimp and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
- Add the chopped spinach and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Toss to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Looking For More Shrimp Recipes?
Here are a few other easy ways to cook up shrimp that you will love. We have tons more shrimp recipes on the website so just search “shrimp” and they will all come up.