This Hulk Muffin recipe is a favorite of ours from Brighter Bites, a fantastic organization providing fresh produce and nutrition education to underserved children.
These delicious muffins are packed with fruits and veggies including spinach (a whole bag to be exact!), bananas and applesauce. They are such a hit with children thanks to their name and green color yet you can feel good knowing your child is getting in some fruits and veggies at breakfast or snack time.
Serve these muffins with a smear of peanut butter for healthy fat and protein.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 1 bag 5 oz spinach or kale
- ¾ cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 bananas ripe
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients and set aside.
- In a blender, puree the bag of spinach with the milk until well blended. Then, add the applesauce, bananas, and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Pour wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a greased muffin pan, pour mixture until about ¾ full. Bake for 16 minutes.