Everyone needs a good bean salad in their repertoire. They come together easily, keep well in the fridge for weekday meals and they are packed with nutrients!
Legumes are a main component of the Mediterranean diet. The legume food group includes all types of beans, chickpeas, peas, lentils and even peanuts. Legumes are high in fiber, which helps to keep us full and also helps reduce cholesterol. Beans are also a great source of plant-based protein.
You can use this salad in so many different ways and change it up based on what ingredients you have on hand. Here are a few of our favorite variations:
- Black Bean & Mango Appetizer: Add Avocado to your salad, serve with blue corn chips and Enjoy!
- Black Bean, Quinoa & Mango Salad: Add 1/2-1 cup of red quinoa to your salad. This makes the perfect easy lunch, dinner or side. Try with shrimp, salmon or chicken, Garnish with feta.
- Black Bean & Mango Wrap: Place black bean salad in your favorite wrap or tortilla, add avocado or guacamole, sprinkle of feta. Enjoy!
Black Bean And Mango Salad
- 2 -15 oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mango chopped
- ½ cup of red onion chopped
- ½-1 medium jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 c cilantro leaves chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Combine beans, bell pepper, mango, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro in a medium size bowl and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Pour over bean mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings - you may need to add more lime juice or salt.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad just gets better with time so definitely can prep ahead.