Adapted from the “Mediterranean Cooking” cookbook, this salad is bright, colorful, and super flavorful. It tastes as good as it looks!
To save time, we like buying pre-steamed and peeled beets. Beets are a great source of iron, potassium, folic acid, and fiber. Beets also contain nitrates, which are converted to nitric oxide within the body. Nitric oxide helps to dilate our blood vessels, which in turn reduces blood pressure.
Chickpeas add protein and fiber to make this a filling, hearty dish!
Wilted Spinach Salad with Beets and Halloumi
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 8 ounce packages Trader Joe's steamed and peeled beets
- 3 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 1/2 ounces halloumi sliced
- Cook farro according to package instructions in chicken or vegetable stock.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chickpeas and beets; stir until heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine farro, spinach, mint, and walnuts in a large bowl. Mix together 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze and 2 tablespoons oil, then drizzle over salad. Add beets and chickpea mixture; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook halloumi for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve salad and top with halloumi. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze.