This refreshing summer salad includes strawberries, a whole grain, healthy fats and fresh spring greens for a balancing filling meal or side. To make this salad a bit heartier, add grilled chicken or salmon. We always recommend making your own salad dressing to cut back on unnecessary sugar and sodium found in pre-made dressings and to ensure you are getting in a high-quality fat source, like olive oil. The Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette used on this salad is a very versatile dressing you can use on lots of different types of salads. Make a big batch and store it in the fridge for use throughout the week!
Nutritional Highlights: This hearty summer salad includes strawberries, whole grains, healthy fats, and fresh spring greens for a balanced and filling meal or side. Make your own salad dressing to cut unnecessary sugar and ensure quality fat sources.
Chopped Strawberry Farro Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¾ cup uncooked farro
- chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 large avocado diced
- 6 cups loosely-packed spinach & arugula mix roughly chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup pecans chopped and toasted
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare farro according to the package instructions, using broth instead of water. Place cooked farro in a serving dish to cool while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, prepare the honey balsamic vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour half of the dressing over the farro and toss to combine. Store the remaining dressing in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients to the farro, and toss to combine. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.