These chocolate hazelnut energy bites are the perfect sweet treat or afternoon snack. Unlike most desserts, these bites contain protein and healthy fats (thanks to the almond butter and hazelnuts), which make these more satiating and filling. They are sweetened naturally with dates, which provide the sweet taste but also provide fiber which also makes these more satiating and helps to balance blood sugar.
We recommend storing these in the fridge or freezer so that you have something nutrient-dense to satisfy those sweet cravings!
Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
- 12 whole Medjool dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Lightly toast the hazelnuts on a medium skillet. Cool 10 minutes, then rub off skins.
- Reserve 20 hazelnuts and then pulse remaining hazelnuts in a food processor until finely chopped; transfer chopped nuts to a small bowl.
- Pulse dates in food processor until almost paste-like. Add almond butter, cocoa, 2 tbsp water, vanilla and salt. Process until well combined.
- Turn mixture out into a bowl and divide into 20 equal portions. Roll each portion around one whole hazelnut to form a ball (mixture will be oily).
- Roll each ball in chopped hazelnuts to coat. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.