We’re sharing our favorite Mediterranean diet snacks that are made with great ingredients and will give you a boost of energy until your next meal.
You know those afternoon energy crashes or busy days where you just need a quick snack? So you reach for something from the vending machine at work or maybe you just end up snacking on chips at home.
This is such a common problem we see clients struggling with all the time.
That’s where we come in.
Do We Recommend Including Snacks On The Mediterranean Diet?
We are definitely fans of including snacks on the Mediterranean diet but it’s all about making those healthy choices. Skip the sugar-loaded treats and opt for one of these healthy ideas instead.
Planning and preparing nutritious snacks is a great strategy to bridge from one meal to the next. It will help prevent low blood sugar and that ‘hangry’ feeling we all know too well. By having a midday snack, you will be able to make healthier decisions at your next meal because you won’t be overly hungry.
Eating midday snacks is also a great way to get more nutrients. If you feel like you aren’t eating enough veggies at meals, try prioritizing vegetables as your snacks. Or maybe you don’t eat nuts or seeds very often – try sticking to a small handful of nuts as your snack a few days a week.
Is Popcorn On The Mediterranean Diet?
This is a common question we are asked, and yes, popcorn is absolutely included on the Mediterranean diet. Popcorn is a whole grain which means it contains more fiber and minerals than refined grains.
If you want to include popcorn in your diet, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Pay attention to portion sizes. It’s easy to snack on popcorn endlessly so grab a small bowl and put the rest of the bag away.
- Make the popcorn yourself at home or choose a brand with simple ingredients like avocado oil and a little salt.
What Makes A Snack Mediterranean?
On the Mediterranean diet we focus on snacks that include protein, healthy fats, and fiber. It’s also important to keep the sodium and added sugar content to a minimum.
For example, a great snack is apple slices with Laughing Cow cheese and walnuts sprinkled on top. Here’s the nutrition reasoning:
- Apples are a good source of fiber and antioxidants.
- Laughing cow cheese contains some protein.
- Walnuts are healthy fats that support heart and brain health.
11 Mediterranean Diet Snack Ideas
Here are a few of our favorite Mediterranean diet snack ideas. We’ve included at-home options and Mediterranean diet snacks to buy when you’re on the go.
Quick Mediterranean Snack Ideas
These snacks are quick options that will take less than five minutes to put together and they check all our boxes for healthy Mediterranean snacks.
- Carrots sticks and hummus – Try adding a little sriracha to the hummus for a kick! Carrots are high in beta carotene which is convert to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is a carotenoid that supports eye health, immune health and brain health. Hummus is made of chickpeas, olive oil, tahini and spices. The hummus provides some protein and health fats to help absorb the fat-soluble beta-carotene in the carrots.
- Apple slices with Laughing Cow cheese, and walnuts – A delicious sweet and salty combination. Apples are a great source of fiber which supports a health gut microbiome. Laughing cow cheese wedges are great because they are lower in saturated fat. Walnuts are incredibly good for brain health because they contain omega-3 fatty acids and reduce free radical damage.
- Banana boat – Sliced banana topped with peanut butter and coconut flakes. Banana is a great snack because it contains fiber, potassium and vitamin B6. Bananas contain mostly carbohydrates so we pair it with the peanut butter for a healthy source of fat. This combination slows the carbohydrates absorption and reduces blood sugar spikes, giving you sustained energy.
- Wasa crackers with cheese – Top with Laughing Cow cheese, cucumber, everything but the bagel seasoning. Wasa crackers are made with whole grains which contain more fiber, vitamins and minerals than refined grains. The sliced cucumber on top is crisp, cold, and adds additional fiber to the snack.
Mediterranean Diet Snacks To Buy
These products are Mediterranean diet snacks when you need something quick or if you’re on the road.
- Babybel Cheese – These are portion sized for you and easy to grab on the go. Babybel cheese rounds are low in saturated fat. Keeping saturated fat intake throughout the day to a minimum is important for overall heart health. These cheese rounds are also great because they contain some protein to give you lasting energy until your next meal.
- SkinnyPop – This popcorn is a great Mediterranean diet snack to buy because it contains simple ingredients and it gives you that satisfying crunch. We also love that these come in portion sized bags to help reduce overeating.
- RxBars – There are so many protein bars on the market but most are made with a long list of crazy ingredients. RxBars on the other hand, are made with simple ingredients and they are higher in protein than a regular granola bar. RxBars are sweetened with dates which also contain fiber.
- 100 Calorie Pack nuts – Nuts are super nutritious and will help give you that satiating feeling until your next meal. Try to grab low sodium options. Try paring a pack of nuts with a whole fresh fruit for a nutritious snack.
Healthy Homemade Snack Recipes
Here are a few healthy Mediterranean snacks you can make at home. We recommend choosing 1-2 to prepare for the week ahead.
1. Brighter Bites Hulk Muffins
Not only are these muffins a fun color but the spinach gives them an important nutrition boost. Spinach is a good source of plant-based iron which is especially important for red blood cell production, oxygen transports, growth and development, and immune function. Try one of these tasty muffins for a sweet and nutritious snack.
2. Homemade Trail Mix
Trail mix is a great snack because we’re really highlighting the amazing benefits of nuts. Nuts are high in fiber, unsaturated fats, vitamin E, selenium, magnesium and other minerals. Systematic research that compiled decades of research on nuts found that overall, regular consumption of nuts is associated with lower chronic disease risk, a healthy body weight, and improved blood sugar control.
Homemade Trail Mix
3. Grab n’ Go Power Cookies
These hearty Grab n’ Go Power Cookies are made with nuts, seeds and whole grains to power you through your day. We also love that these are mostly sweetened with fruit like dates and apples. These cookies are great to make for the week, and packs for snacks on the go.
Grab n’ Go Power Cookies
Looking For More Mediterranean Resources?
Here are a few other places to learn more about making healthy choices on the Mediterranean Diet.