This soup is both hearty and light with protein from the turkey and beans, fiber from the beans and vegetables, and plenty of flavor all around!
Turkey, Kale, and White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 link mild or hot turkey sausage casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups kale stems removed, washed, and shredded
- 2 15-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with their juice
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté about 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking apart, until no longer pink, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and kale to the pan and cook, stirring until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the kale is tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the beans into the stew and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- For a thicker consistency, mash some of the beans with a fork.
- Taste, add salt and pepper if necessary, and serve.