We are changing up the classic Tuscan Panzanella salad by adding shrimp, white beans and a little heat with a serrano pepper (totally optional of course!) This salad just gets better with time so making this salad in advance is always a good idea. The whole wheat sourdough soaks in all the vinaigrette goodness. The combination of fiber from the whole wheat bread and beans and lean protein from the shrimp means you’ll be full and satisfied all day long.
Spicy Shrimp and White Bean Panzanella Salad
- 2 cups whole grain sourdough bread cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb cooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup pitted olives halved (Kalamata or Castelvetrano)
- 1 serrano pepper seeded and diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- Garnish: 1 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place bread on baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss. Bake for about 5 minutes, until golden and brown.
- Whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and oregano together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, Serrano pepper, lemon zest and bread.
- Pour vinaigrette over and toss. Top with basil and enjoy!