This sheet pan meal is so easy and delicious! We love the combination of spices that turn an otherwise boring chicken into a flavorful and filling meal.
Paprika and cumin add flavor, aroma, and color to dishes without adding sodium or fat. The sweet potatoes in this dish provide fiber, vitamins, and minerals while the chicken is a nutritious source of lean protein. Complete this bowl with arugula, hummus, and your favorite whole wheat pita or naan for a truly Mediterranean inspired bowl.
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 2 sweet potatoes sliced into 1⁄4-inch rounds
- 1 large red onion sliced into 1⁄2-inch rounds
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of cinnamon
- juice of 2 lemons save the lemons to add to the sheet pan
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- toppings: arugula, cucumbers, feta, tzatziki sauce, hummus, parsley, whole wheat pita or naan
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, turmeric, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat.
- Spread the chicken mixture in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Add the juiced lemons. Drizzle with a little more olive oil if it looks dry, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Roast 30 to 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and sweet potatoes are tender.
- To serve, place the chicken and vegetables in individual bowls and top with arugula, cucumbers, feta, tzatziki, hummus, and herbs. If desired, drizzle more lemon juice and olive oil on top before serving. Enjoy with whole wheat pita or naan.