Enjoy this simple open-faced grilled cheese that can be ready in less than 20 minutes! The tomato adds extra flavor and nutrients, and the combination of ingredients provides a balanced meal that’s lighter than your typical grilled cheese.
Open-Faced Grilled Cheese with Tomato
- 1 slice whole wheat bread we like Dave's Killer Bread
- 1 slice ripe tomato
- ¼ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh basil to garnish
- Optional, add sliced avocado
- Toast the bread to a light brown.
- Place the grated cheese on the bread. Add avocado if you like.
- Top with the tomato slice.
- Place in the toaster oven and toast until the cheese melts (or place in the oven and broil).
- Top with chopped basil.