This is a classic flavor combination that never gets old!
Beets are an incredibly nutritious root vegetable. They contain nutrients including folate, manganese, potassium, and magnesium. They also contain nitrates, which may help lower blood pressure and promote heart health. We recommend buying pre-roasted beets to cut back on prep time. Trader Joe’s make an excellent pack of pre-roasted beets.
Farro is a whole grain that adds a nutty flavor and fiber to this recipe. Whole grains can help slow digestion, helping to keep you full longer and potentially contributing to weight loss.
Farro Salad with Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese
- 4 fresh medium-sized beets or Trader Joes Steamed and Peeled Baby Beets
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut off the leafy tops of the beets, leaving about 1 inch of stem. Scrub the beets and wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any leaks.
- Roast for 45-60 minutes depending on size, checking the beets after 25-30 minutes.
- If they look a little dry, you can add a little water or olive oil. Re-wrap and continue to roast until tender. A knife should slide in easily.
- Set the beets aside to cool. When cool, peel beets and cut into bite-size chunks.
- Prepare the farro according to the package directions using the low sodium vegetable or chicken broth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, shallot, mustard, and thyme. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the farro, beets, and dressing. Gently toss to combine.
- Top the salad with the pistachios and goat cheese.