Egg recipes are a great way to add vegetables to your breakfast routine. Try serving this recipe with a crusty whole grain bread on the side for added fiber and energizing carbohydrates to power you through your morning.
Eggs in a Hole
- 1 lb beet greens or kale washed and dried
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled Roma tomatoes Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Remove and discard the stems of the greens, and coarsely chop the leaves.
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the greens, cover the pot, and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and tomatoes, and simmer until the liquid evaporates. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 wells in the cooked greens. Carefully break an egg into each of the wells, and cook until the yolks and whites are set, about 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.