Egg recipes are a great way to add vegetables to your breakfast routine. Try serving this recipe with a crusty whole grain bread on the side for added fiber and energizing carbohydrates to power you through your morning.Print
Eggs in a Hole
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 lb beet greens or kale, washed and dried
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled Roma tomatoes Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Remove and discard the stems of the greens, and coarsely chop the leaves.
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, and cayenne and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the greens, cover the pot, and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and tomatoes, and simmer until the liquid evaporates. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 wells in the cooked greens. Carefully break an egg into each of the wells, and cook until the yolks and whites are set, about 10 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Keywords: Eggs, Breakfast, Quick & Easy, Vegetarian