This salad is excellent for summer entertaining and impressing company. To lighten up the original recipe by Southern Living, we cut back on the cheese and oil. It’s still delicious and packed with so many nutrients.
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse providing vitamin K, fiber and folate. It’s also rich in phytonutrients which support our natural immunity. Blueberries are a favorite summer fruit packed full of antioxidants and fiber.
While we love this salad as a side to any entree, you can easily make it into a complete, hearty meal by adding your favorite protein. Grilled chicken or salmon would work wonderfully here.
Blueberry & Kale Farro Salad
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ large shallot minced
- 1/3 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 cup farro or other grain of choice
- water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce package sugar snap peas
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or other nut of choice
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir together red wine vinegar and minced shallot; let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in olive oil, honey, and Dijon mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Cook farro according to package directions using water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to boil in a small pot, add snap peas and boil for 1-2 minutes until crisp. Drain and plunge into ice water. Slice in half and set aside.
- Toss together kale, farro, and 1⁄4 cup of the vinaigrette in a large bowl. Stir in blueberries, snap peas, and walnuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more vinaigrette to taste and top with feta cheese. Enjoy!