Who doesn’t love fish tacos? Especially with a crunchy crust? Now they are even better using the Air Fryer because they are a little lighter and healthier. The Air Fryer is our favorite quarantine cooking device for so many reasons – you don’t need cooking oil, it’s quick and easy and there’s no mess! Food comes out of the air fryer nice and crispy but lower in fat and calories than fried food.
When I am making fish tacos there are three essential components that I always make sure I have on my taco:
- Good quality fish – We are using halibut from our favorite fish delivery service, Fish Fixe, in this recipe, but you can use any other white flaky fish. On the Mediterranean diet you need at least two servings of fish per week. Fish is a great source of lean protein and heart-healthy fats. The crunchy coating on our fish is the perfect compliment to the tender, moist fish.
- Taco slaw- We keep it simple using purple cabbage, cilantro, serrano pepper, mayo, garlic, lime juice and salt and pepper. We love using purple cabbage because its a great source of powerful antioxidants and its rich in fiber and cancer-fighting compounds.
- A delicious sauce for the top of my taco – For the final layer of our taco, we made up a basic sriracha mayo. All you have to do is combine mayo and sriracha. That’s it. You can add garlic and lime juice, if you like. If you want to try a different sauce, try our creamy avocado lime sauce!
Air Fryer Halibut Tacos with Sriracha Mayo
- 4 -6 oz fillets of Halibut
- 1 package of Taco seasoning I love Siete foods taco seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon of water or milk
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 8 tortillas- corn or flour my favorite tortillas are La Tortilla Factory blend of white corn and wheat
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro, lime, cabbage slaw
- 1.5 cups of red cabbage shredded thinly (about ½ head of red cabbage)
- 1/2 - 1 Serrano pepper seeded and diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons of cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or dash of sriracha
- Salt and pepper to taste
Basic Sriracha Mayo
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tablespoons of sriracha
- Optional add-ins: 1 clove of garlic, squeeze of lime juice
- Make the slaw: combine cabbage, Serrano pepper, cilantro, lime juice, mayo, garlic and a pinch of cayenne in a bowl. Toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Make the sriracha mayo: Combine mayo, and sriracha in a small bow. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a shallow dish or pie pan, place taco seasoning mix. In the 2nd dish, beat egg and milk together. In the 3rd dish place panko bread crumbs.
- Pat fish filets dry with paper towels. Coat fish filet on both sides with taco seasonings , next dip filet into eggs allowing excess to drip off, and finally dredge in breadcrumbs on each side, pressing to adhere. Make sure there are plenty of breadcrumbs on the filets.
- Place fish filets in air fryer basket. Set to 350F and cook for 7 minutes. Turn fish and cook for about 4-5 minutes more until golden brown and flakes easily. Remove from fryer and cut into bite size pieces
- Place fish on tortillas, top with slaw and a dollop of sriracha mayo and a squeeze of lime! Enjoy!