This Whole Wheat Udon Salad is a favorite recipe of mine from Amy Chaplin’s cookbook, “At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well.”
This dish is packed with health-benefiting nutrients! Choosing whole wheat noodles over traditional noodles means added fiber and natural vitamins and minerals. Bell peppers are a great source of Vitamins A, C, E, K, folate, and potassium. In fact, a cup of chopped bell peppers has 3x more immune-boosting vitamin C than an orange!
Whole Wheat Udon Salad
- 2 ears sweet corn shucked and cooked
- 1 8 ounce package whole wheat udon noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- ½ cup finely sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Add udon noodles to a large pot of water and cook according to package directions, or until tender. Drain and rinse noodles under cold running water. Set aside to drain well.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and raise heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 more minutes or until peppers are cooked through and begin to brown. Stir in chili flakes and set aside to cool.
- Add garlic, tamari, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Drizzle in sesame oil and whisk again.
- Place noodles and half of the marinade in a large salad bowl. Toss until evenly coated. Add extra marinade as desired.
- Cut corn off cobs and add to noodles along with scallions and cilantro. Mix well to combine, then gently stir in peppers. Season to taste with extra tamari or kosher salt.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve at room temperature.