Spaghetti squash is a very filling, low carbohydrate vegetable that can be used in place of pasta or noodles in many dishes. These Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls are loaded with colorful veggies like purple cabbage, bell pepper, green onions and of course, spaghetti squash.
Eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables is an excellent way to ensure you are getting in lots of different types of antioxidants. Antioxidants reduce inflammation and prevent the risk for chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.
Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl
Spaghetti squash is a very filling, low carbohydrate vegetable that can be used in place of pasta or noodles. Cabbage is a great source of vitamin A, iron, and riboflavin
- 2 small spaghetti squash halved and de-seeded
- Olive oil divided
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red or orange bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice to taste
- 1 diced avocado
- 1.5 cups of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde or your favorite tomatillo sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp lime juice
- fresh cilantro leaves
- cotija cheese
- toasted pepitas
- ground turkey or chicken for added protein
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle 2 tablespoon olive oil onto the insides of all 4 spaghetti squash halves and rub it in. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn them over so insides are facing down.
- Roast until the flesh is easily pierced through with a fork, about 40 to 60 minutes depending on size.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, beans, bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set side to marinate.
- Use a fork to separate and fluff up the flesh of the spaghetti squash.
- To make avocado tomatillo sauce, combine avocado, tomatillo sauce, lime juice and cilantro and mix well.
- Using the spaghetti squash as a bowl, divide the cabbage mixture into each of the halves. Top each "bowl" with 2 Tbsp of avocado tomatillo sauce and desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from Cookie + Kate
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!