Eggplant is a summer season vegetable and a great source of fiber and b-vitamins
Extra-virgin olive oil adds heart-healthy fats to this dish, while also making it satiating
Simple Eggplant Rollups
- 2 eggplants cut lengthwise into 12 (1/4 inch thick) slices
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 10 oz container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce I use Rao's Marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Sprinkle eggplant slices on both sides with 1/4 tsp salt and place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes. Rinse well and press between 2 paper towels to dry.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on greased baking sheets. Spray eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake at 425 until just beginning to brown, about 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven, and reduce temperature to 375F.
- While eggplant is baking, stir together ricotta, basil, pepper, oil, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of the marinara sauce into an 11 x 7 in baking dish. Place 1 Tbsp ricotta mixture on 1 eggplant slice and roll up from the short end.
- Place rollup, seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining ricotta mixture and eggplant slices. Top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup marinara.
- Bake at 375F until sauce is bubbly and warm and tops of rollups are very lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Top with parmesan and basil. Serve immediately.
- Try adding minced mushrooms, fresh spinach, grated zucchini, or lean/ground turkey/beef to your rollups.
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!