This recipe is the perfect lighter variation of a traditional jambalaya. We love this version by 40 Aprons. Instead of rice, use cauliflower rice, which lowers the overall calorie content and adds in additional fiber, vitamins and minerals.
The bell peppers add flavor and contain vitamins C, B6, A, E, K, and minerals, potassium and folate.
The shrimp and chicken sausage add lean protein, making this a filling and complete meal!
Healthy Jambalaya with Sausage & Shrimp
This recipe is the perfect lighter variation of a traditional jambalaya. Instead of rice, use cauliflower rice, which lowers the overall calorie content and adds in additional fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken sausage sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 15 ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- green onions sliced, for garnish
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Louisiana hot sauce optional
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add sliced sausage and cook until browned on both sides. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, onion, bell pepper, and celery; sauté until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and optional cayenne pepper to pot and stir. Mix in tomatoes, chicken broth, and sausage. Add more Cajun seasoning if desired.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low; simmer for 25 to 35 minutes or until liquid is thickened and reduced.
- Stir in shrimp and cauliflower rice. Cook on low, stirring regularly, until rice is heated through and shrimp turn pink and curl into a C-shape. Don't overcook the shrimp. Ladle into bowls and top with sliced green onions and parsley. Serve with hot sauce.
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!