These bowls are loaded with anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats from the olive oil and salmon. They are also packed with veggies like bell pepper, mushrooms, shredded cabbage and cucumbers, all of which provide vitamins, antioxidants and fiber to keep you full all day long.
Cabbage is one of the star ingredients of this dish. A half-cup of cabbage provides a third of your immune-boosting vitamin C needs for the day. It is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family. Research shows that consumption of cruciferous vegetables is associated with lower cancer risk. So start cooking with cabbage – these bowls are a great place to start!
You can sub chicken for salmon if that’s what you are craving or what you have on-hand.
Nutritional Highlights: Cabbage is a great source of Vitamin K and Vitamin C. Salmon is a great source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids
Ginger Scallion Salmon Bowls
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 8-ounce bags shredded cabbage (8 to 10 cups)
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked wild salmon
- 1 English cucumber sliced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Ginger Scallion Sauce:
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced
- One 3-inch piece fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil over medium heat, then sauté the mushrooms until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the sautéed mushrooms, shredded cabbage, sliced bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a separate bowl. Add half of this sauce to the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Fill four bowls equally with the cabbage mixture, rice, and sliced cucumber. Top with cooked salmon. Drizzle with remaining sauce.
Quick & Easy Cooking Methods:Instead of purchasing pre-cooked salmon or chicken, prepare at home:
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over salmon or chicken breast and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For chicken, cook for 30 to 35 min until cooked through. For salmon, cook until the flesh is light pink and flakes easily, about 10 to 12 minutes.