This is an Ellie Krieger recipe that we have loved for many years now, and we think you will too! Thanks to the cajun seasoning and fresh herbs, the flavors in this simple meal are out of this world.
Shrimp is an excellent source of lean protein with the added benefit of omega-3 fatty acids and the antioxidant, selenium. The addition of summer vegetables like zucchini and bell peppers add additional antioxidants and fiber. The corn provides a whole grain component to this dish, helping to balance out the meal!
Foil Packet Cajun Shrimp
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 3 ounce chicken or turkey andouille sausage link, cut into thin rounds
- 2 small zucchini cut into thin rounds
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 fresh ears of corn cut into kernels or 1 ½ cups defrosted frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend I use Tony Chachere’s
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, place the shrimp, sausage, zucchini, bell pepper, corn, Creole seasoning, salt, parsley, and basil. Use a large spoon to mix thoroughly.
- Lay out large 4 large (10 x 18 inch) pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil on a flat surface.
- Divide the shrimp and vegetable mixture evenly between the 4 pieces, placing in the center of each piece of foil.
- Mix together the white wine and olive oil and drizzle each packet with 2 1/2 tablespoons.
- Fold each piece of the foil to form a packet, sealing tightly and leaving a little room inside for air to circulate.
- Place packets on a baking sheet; bake for 12-14 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp.
- Open packets carefully to avoid the hot steam that escapes.
- Transfer shrimp and veggies to individual bowls to serve.