This Farro and Wild Mushroom Gratin is inspired by a Southern Living recipe. Our spin on this classic recipe utilizes whole-wheat breadcrumbs instead of traditional breadcrumbs. Using whole-wheat breadcrumbs is a simple swap and a great way to lighten up any recipe and add some additional fiber and nutrients.
Mushrooms make this a hearty and filling vegetarian dish while farro gives this dish a boost of fiber, magnesium, and zinc.
This makes such a delicious and satisfying vegetable side at Thanksgiving or any special holiday meal.
Farro and Wild Mushroom Gratin
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Adjust oven rack to upper level and preheat broiler on low.
- Cook farro in vegetable broth according to package directions.
- De-stem the kale and roughly chop.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Add the carrot and onion and cook, stirring often, until tender - about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cool until slightly wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir to loosen any browned bits on bottom of pan. Simmer until liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to incorporate. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Removc from the heat and stir in the parmesan and cooked farro.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle over the gratin.
- Broil for 10 minutes, checking after the first 5, until breadcrumbs are golden brown and casserole is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- *To prepare ahead, skip broiling and cover with foil; refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden brown and filling is bubbling.