These decadent brownies are a favorite from A Healthy Life for Me. We love these for a special treat – Valentine’s Day, a birthday or any special occasion.
When it comes to dessert on the Mediterranean diet, it is consumed in moderation. When we do eat dessert, we like to eat desserts made with real ingredients. We’d choose a homemade dessert any day over a packaged cookie or piece of candy. Fruit is often eaten as a dessert on the Mediterranean diet, which is why we love the strawberries in these brownies!
Double Chocolate Strawberry Coconut Brownies
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 10 strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F, line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add chocolate chips to a large glass bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove stir. MIcrowave for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in almond butter, cocoa powder and sugar until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract, salt and eggs until completely blended.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth batter until evenly distributed
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until brownies are set in the center, taking care not to over bake. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium glass bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave for 1 minutes , stir and microwave for an additional minute. Remove and stir until smooth.
- Pour over brownie and use back of spoon to smooth to the edges
- Sprinkle strawberries evenly over the top, followed by coconut.
- Set brownies in freezer to set chocolate for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator covered for up to one week.