This is a great go-to dish, whether you want a filling and impressive meal for entertaining guests or need a quick one-pan weeknight meal. It even makes great leftovers for lunch or dinner the following day. We lightened up the original recipe found on TheKitchn by using less cheese and prosciutto.
The spinach in this dish is a great source of immune-boosting vitamins A and C as well as fiber, iron, calcium and folate. The chicken provides lean protein while the red potatoes are a great source of fiber-rich carbohydrates. This combination is what keeps us full and satisfied!
Chicken Saltimbocca with Vegetables
The spinach in this dish is a great source of immune-boosting vitamins A and C as well as fiber, iron, calcium and folate. The chicken provides lean protein while the red potatoes are a great source of fiber-rich carbohydrates.
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces small red potatoes, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 5 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- Turn broiler on high.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels, then season both sides of the cutlets with the sage, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Add the cutlets in a single layer – do not overcrowd the pan.
- Sear the chicken until the bottom is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the cutlets and continue searing until the other side is browned and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 more minutes. Transfer the cooked cutlets to a plate, loosely cover with aluminum foil, and continue cooking any remaining pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add the sliced potatoes, season with salt, and stir to coat the potatoes with the oil. Arrange in a single layer and cook until the bottoms just start to brown, about 5 minutes. Flip with a spatula and continue cooking until lightly browned and tender on both sides, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms shrink slightly and gain some color. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in a single layer. Top each cutlet with a slice of prosciutto, and sprinkle with the cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: Dinner, Chicken, One Skillet Meal