Chicken Milanese is a class dish that we love for special occasions. To lighten up this classic, we used less cheese than what is traditionally found in the dish. Serve your chicken Milanese over a big bed of arugula. To make a meal extra special, pair this dish with our Champagne and Asparagus Farrotto with Crispy Prosciutto.
- 4 chicken breast cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour almond or cassava flour if gluten-free
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cup panko bread crumbs gf if need
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 5 oz baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 425°F, Prepare a baking sheet with a rack sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place chicken cutlets on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish (or pie plate) add flour. In a second dish add the beaten eggs. In a third dish combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken cutlets in flour, turning to coat both sides. Shake off excess. Dip chicken in eggs allowing excess to drip back into the dish. Finally, add chicken to the panko mixture and press firmly to adhere. Make sure both sides are coated. Continue with the remaining chicken cutlets.
- Spray chicken with olive oil cooking spray and place on the prepared baking sheet with rack and bake until browned for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the salad: whisk together olive oil and lemon juice in a salad bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add arugula and onion and toss to coat.
- To serve: place salad over chicken with lemon wedges on the side.