The marinade in this recipe uses olive oil and whole olives to provide heart-healthy fats that help our bodies fight inflammation.The marinade also uses herbs and spices to add a unique flavor. One of my favorite things about the Mediterranean diet is that it uses an abundance of flavorful spices and ingredients that also have amazing health benefits. Eating nutritious foods doesn’t have to be boring!
The marinade for this chicken is based with Mediterranean-friendly olive oil, giving this recipe a heart-healthy kick. Chicken provides Selenium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin D
- Yield: 4-5 Servings 1x
- Cuisine: Mediterranean Diet
- Chicken pieces for 4-5 people, about 11/2 -2 pounds of chicken, thighs are preferred ( white, dark or combination)
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- ½ head of garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- ⅛ cup of dried oregano
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup prunes, pitted
- ½ cup green olives, pitted
- ¼ cup of capers with juice
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
Garnish: fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken to marinade and cover tightly. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally to ensure the marinade is getting into all the chicken pieces.
- Transfer chicken and marinated ingredients to large 13x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pour wine around the chicken ( do not pour over it).
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when the juices are clear when pricked with a fork.
- Transfer the chicken, prunes and olives to a serving platter with juices, sprinkle with parsley. May be served warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: Chicken, Dinner, Olives