Serve topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped pecans and fresh parsley.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
This recipe will forever remind us of the fall season. Apples and butternut squash are quintessential fall foods that pair so nicely together in this soup and add a ton of nutrients. One cup of butternut squash has 450% of your daily needs of Vitamin A as well as 50% of your daily needs of Vitamin C. Apples are rich in fiber and onions are great ways to add flavor while also high in antioxidants, compounds that fight inflammation throughout the body.
Serve topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped pecans, and fresh parsley.
- One cup of butternut squash has 450% of your daily needs of Vitamin A as well as 50% of your daily needs of Vitamin C.
- Onions are great ways to add flavor while also high antioxidants and compounds that fight inflammation throughout the body.
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 pounds cubed butternut squash – we love the pre-cubed ones
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled and cut to ½ inch dice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- toppings (optional): chopped pecans, Greek yogurt, parsley
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Place squash in a medium-sized bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- While the squash is cooking, Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large stockpot. Sauté onion, celery, garlic, and apple over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add the squash, vinegar, stock, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Puree with a hand-held emulsifier or in the blender in batches until desired consistency.
- Serve and top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, chopped pecans, and fresh parsley.
Keywords: Fully Mediterranean, Mediterranean diet, soups recipes, fall recipes