This is such a delicious adaptation of a salmon recipe from Chef Yottam Ottelenghi! We made the original recipe a bit simpler while keeping Chef Ottelenghi’s classic flavors. I know you will love it just as much as I do!
Salmon is loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and protein. It also contains vitamin D, a vitamin that isn’t found abundantly in our food supply yet is so important for immune and bone health.
Bridget Jones’s Salmon with Pine Nut Salsa
- ¾ cup currants
- 4 salmon filets skin on and pin-boned
- 1/3 cups olive oil
- 4 celery sticks diced (keep leaves for garnish)
- ¼ cup pine nuts roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup capers plus 2 tablespoons of their brine
- 1/3 cup large green olives pitted and diced
- 1 good pinch saffron threads mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water·
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Cover the currants with boiling water and set aside to soak for 20 minutes while you prep the salmon and make the salsa.
- Mix the salmon with 2 teaspoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt and a good grind of pepper. Set aside while you make the salsa.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons olive oil into a large sauté pan and turn to high heat. Add the celery and pine nuts and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the nuts begin to brown (don’t take your eye off them, as they can easily burn). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the capers and their brine, the olives, saffron and its water and a pinch of salt. Drain the currants and add them, along with the parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to a large frying pan on medium high heat. Once hot, add the salmon filets, skin side down, and fry for 3 minutes, until the skin is crisp.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then flip the fillets over and continue to fry for 2-4 minutes (depending on how much you like the salmon cooked). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Arrange the salmon on four plates and spoon over the salsa. If you have any celery leaves reserved, scatter these on top.
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!