Tomatoes are a fresh and flavorful way to add vitamins A, C, and K to any summer dish Tomatoes, red onions, and pomegranate seeds all contain antioxidants that improve health and help our bodies prevent disease.
Tomato and Roasted Lemon Salad
- 2 medium lemons halved crosswise, seeds removed, and cut into paper-thin slices
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp superfine sugar
- 8 sage leaves finely shredded
- 2 ⅔ cups baby tomatoes yellow or red or mixture of both, halved
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ⅓ cup flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup cup mint leaves
- Seeds of 1 small pomegranate 2/3 cup
- 1 ½ Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced (~ 1⁄2 cup)
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring small saucepan of water to a boil, add the lemon slices, and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Drain well, place the lemon in a bowl, and add 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, the sugar, and the sage.
- Gently mix, then spread the lemon mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes, until the lemons have dried out a little. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, allspice, parsley, mint, pomegranate seeds, molasses, onion, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and some freshly ground pepper.
- Add the lemon slices, stir gently, and serve.