Freekeh is an ancient grain full of vitamins and minerals as well as fiber Scallops are a good source of magnesium and potassium.
Seared Scallops with Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce over Freekeh
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 16 jumbo scallops
- 1 cup freekeh
- low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook freekeh according to package directions. Stir in extra-virgin olive oil and parsley; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in a 10-in cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, 2 Tbsp basil, and salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes burst and release their juices, about 6-7 minutes. Continue to cook, until sauce thickens slightly, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe skillet clean. Pat scallops dry with paper towels, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in skillet over high.
- Add scallops, and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute and 30 seconds per side - do not overcook.
- Divide freekeh among serving plates; top each with about 2/3 c tomato sauce and 4 scallops. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 Tbsp basil.
Tried and loved this recipe?Tag us @fullymediterranean!