Freekeh is packed with minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, and manganese The walnuts and dressing add healthy fats to this delicious fall salad.
Freekeh Salad with Butternut Squash, Walnuts, and Raisins
- 3 c cubed butternut squash - we love the precubed ones
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c whole freekeh chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 c Tahini-Lemon Dressing
- 3/4 c coarsely chopped cilantro 1/2 c toasted and chopped walnuts
- 1/3 c golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 450F. Toss squash with oil and fenugreek and season with salt and pepper. Arrange squash in a single layer in a rimmed baking sheet and roast until well browned and tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting; let cool to room temperature.
- Cook freekeh according to package directions in chicken or vegetable stock.
- Drain freekeh, transfer to large bowl and let cool completely, about 15 minutes. Combine raisins and 1/4 cup hot tap water in small bowl and let sit until softened, about 5 minutes; drain raisins.
- Toss squash, raisins, dressing, cilantro, and walnuts to bowl with freekeh and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.