Pomegranate seeds brighten up this dish and provide powerful antioxidants Walnuts add some fiber and healthy fats to this delicious dish.
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 6 large skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- pomegranate seeds and chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 4-6 minutes. Remove from pot and place on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and water to the pot and cook, stirring and scraping any browned bits, until the onion is lightly brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, saffron and cardamom and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the walnuts, broth, pomegranate molasses and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the pot and turn to coat with sauce. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Partially cover and cook until internal temperature reaches 165F, 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken and place on a clean plate.
- Add lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt to the sauce. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until reduced by about one-third, 3-5 minutes. Serve the chicken with sauce and garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley.