These Mexican stuffed bell peppers are full of flavor and are a great dish to make for a gathering with friends, or when you want to mix up your usual dinner menu. The lean ground turkey adds extra protein, and the herbs and spices are full of antioxidants.
Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers with Turkey & Rice
- 4 bell peppers any color
- 1-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- ½ cup sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese shredded
- ¼ - ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- Jalapenos sliced – fresh or pickled
- Garnish: Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops of the peppers. Remove the seeds and membranes as much as you can. Place peppers in a baking dish.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and onion and cook, breaking up the turkey into small pieces. Cook until the turkey is almost cooked.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, Italian seasoning, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in the tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice and combine. Cook until all is heated through and remove from heat.
- Fill the peppers with the rice mixture and top with cheese and a jalapeno if desired.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle the peppers with olive oil.
- Bake the peppers uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!